As an instructor, I like to have all the material referenced in a class manual available as I prepare for the class and/or when I am preparing to implement the “stuff” we cover in class. So I have gone through the manual and created a page with all the online resources, papers or articles mentioned in the VMware NSX: Install, Configure and Manage [6.4] course in one place.
This morning VMware Education announced the availability of two new free self-paced vRealize Operations Manager 6.0 elearning courses: VMware vRealize Operations Manager Fundamentals [V6.0] and vRealize Operations Manager What’s New [V6.0] Fundamentals.
The first course is an overview of the new features, architecture, key features and management packs for vROPS 6.0. The course is targeted at people who are familiar with VMware technologies and datacenter virtualization, but not necessarily vROPS or previous versions of vCOPS.
The “What’s New” course also covers an overview of vROPS 6.0, new features, architecture and new management packs. Additionally, this course includes information on integration with VMware’s vRealize Log Insight and presents potential use cases illustrating how vROPS 6.0 aligns with customer needs. VMware does suggest familiarity with the previous vCOPS 5.x products as a prerequisite for this course.
Each course contains about 2 hours of content and registration gives you a year of access to the course.
The registration links and outlines are below.
1. Course Introduction
2. Introduction to vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
3. Architecture and New Deployments of vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
4. Key Functionalities of vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
5. Interoperability and Resulting Solutions
1. Course Introduction
– Course Overview
– Course Objectives
2. VMware Cloud Management Platform
– Cloud Management Platform Overview
– Evolving Customer Challenges
– Evolving VMware Cloud Management
– Portfolio Positioning
– Benefits of VMware Cloud Management
– Market Opportunity
– vSphere Optimization Assessment
– vOA Benefits
– vOA Execution
3. Key Features of vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
– New Features and Enhancements in vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
– Unified User Interface
– Alerting and Remediation
– Alerting Components
– Fixing an Issue
– Integrated Compliance Framework
– Analysis – Compliance Tab
– Customization of Views, Reports, and Dashboards
– Capacity Planning
– New Group UI and Features
– New Initial Setup Wizard
– User Access Controls
– Access Control Authentication
– Access Control – Object Model
– Mapping Features to Editions
4. Platform and Architecture of vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
– New Platform
– New Single vRealize Operations Manager 6.0 Virtual Machine
– Scalability and Scale Out
– GemFire – Shared Memory Cluster
– High Availability and Resiliency
– Upgrade and Migrations
– Remote Collectors
– Deployment Options
5. vRealize Operations Manager 6.0 Management Packs
– Solutions Exchange
– Operations Manager Management Packs
– Hyperic Management Pack Updates
– Management Pack for Storage Devices
– vRealize Automation Management Pack
– Tenant Overview Dashboard
– Top N Tenant Dashboard
6. Use Cases for vRealize Operations
Today VMware announced the public availability of
HOL-MBL-1458 -Application Management with VMware App Volumes and Horizon 6
Here is the description of the lab from the announcement:
Get an introduction on App Volumes working in conjunction with Horizon 6, how you can manage and deploy applications, and the benefits it provides with your virtual desktops. This lab will provide you with an introduction to App Volumes when used in conjunction with Horizon 6 with View desktops and RDS hosts. You will find out the benefits of utilizing containers for application management and the simplicity of deploying applications based upon individual users, groups, departments, and company wide as well.
1. Introduction to App Volumes
2. Application Lifecycle & Delivery
3. User Installed Applications
4. Local Profile Delivery
5. ThinApp Integration
6. Remote Desktop Hosted Apps
7. Rapid Application Deployment
PUBLIC LAB LINKS:
VMware Hands On Labs End User Compute catalog: http://labs.hol.vmware.com/eucsolutions/catalogs/catalog/177
VMware Hand On Labs Main page: http://labs.hol.vmware.com/
As a VCI, I regularly get asked about free exam vouchers or course discount deals… VMware education has a promotion running now through June 20, 2014 that includes a free VCP exam voucher, a 15% discount on a qualifying course and an additional gift.
If you have been waiting for a “deal” to afford the VCP certification, now is the time to save an get certified!
Here is a collection of links for resources mentioned in the VMware Virtual SAN: Deploy and Manage [V5.5] Train the Trainer class I am attending this week. Thanks to John Krueger for starting this list and sharing it with us! I plan to add to this list as we go and based on recommendations.
vSphere storage Guide – http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-551-storage-guide.pdf
vSphere Installation and Setup Guide – http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-551-installation-setup-guide.pdf
VMware Compatibility Guide for VSAN – https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsan
Virtual SAN Datasheet – http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VMware_Virtual_SAN_Datasheet.pdf
VMware® Virtual SAN™ Design and Sizing Guide – http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VSAN_Design_and_Sizing_Guide.pdf
VMware Virtual SAN Proof of Concept Guide – http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VMware_Virtual_SAN_POC_Guide.pdf
VMware Virtual SAN Quick Monitoring & Troubleshooting Reference Guide – http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/VMware_Virtual_SAN_Quick_Monitoring_Reference_Guide.pdf
Virtual SAN YouTube video playlist – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9MeVsU0uG65kM9iszj5KmNj01PiAWgvf
Virtual SAN (VSAN) Beta Webinar – How to Install, Configure & Manage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLfbeFoSQaI
How To Monitor Virtual SAN (VSAN) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHofTkK6K40
HOL-SDC-1308 – Virtual SAN (VSAN) and Virtual Storage Solutions – http://labs.hol.vmware.com/HOL/#lab/562
VMware Product Walkthrough for VSAN – http://featurewalkthrough.vmware.com/VSAN/
Cormac Hogan’s Blog – http://cormachogan.com/vsan/
Rawlinson Rivera’s Blog – http://www.punchingclouds.com/
Duncan Epping’s Blog – http://www.yellow-bricks.com/virtual-san/ – Duncan has collected a terrific compilation of blog posts related to VSAN!
Essential Virtual SAN (VSAN): Administrator’s Guide to VMware VSAN (VMware Press Technology) – pre-order for Aug. 29, 2014 release
Around the office and with customers, I have had a lot of questions about VMware VSAN. VMware Education just released a free online e-learning class for VSAN:
VMware Virtual SAN Fundamentals [V 5.5] is available to customers free of charge.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
* Introduce concepts related to the architecture and features of VMware virtualized storage.
* Articulate Virtual SAN benefits
* Identify the primary issues associated with Virtual SAN configuration and management
* Understand the primary use cases and customer situations when Virtual SAN is best used, including high level technical qualification criteria.
* Identify VSAN elements
* Enlist the prerequisites needed to configure Virtual SAN.
This training would be valuable for any engineers, salespeople or anyone else who wants a solid foundation for understanding VMware VSAN.