As an instructor, I like to have all the material referenced in a class manual available as I prepare for the class and/or when I am preparing to implement the “stuff” we cover in class. So I have gone through the manual and created a page with all the online resources, papers or articles mentioned in the VMware NSX: Install, Configure and Manage [6.4] course in one place.
Recently, I have been busy preparing to teach an online vRealize Automation: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.2] course and working with clients on SDDC/Automation projects. As a result, I have been looking at VMware resources for class and customers and have put together a page with the items referenced in the student manual and other useful links. Among the usual items like the online documentation and KB articles, VMware has excellent product walkthroughs and free elearning courses. The vRealize Automation 6.2 Install, Configure and Manage class resources page is here.
In preparation for teaching an early access vSphere: Install, Configure and Manage [v6] course this week, I have collected all the web resource links from the student manual onto a single page. Every web link is included, though none are repeated as they are in some sections of the course materials.
The web resources are here.
VMware KB: Creating an NSX logical switch fails with the error: Unable to allocate an available resource
A couple of students mentioned this error during a lab in the VMware NSX: Install, Configure and Manage class this week.
The issue is simple to create and remedy. Logical switches are assigned VNI (VXLAN Number Identifier) from a Segment ID Pool. If the Segment ID Pool is not configured before you try to provision a logical switch then you will get the “Unable to allocate an available resource” error. The resolution is to configure the Segment ID Pool before attempting to create Logical Switches.
This morning VMware Education announced the availability of two new free self-paced vRealize Operations Manager 6.0 elearning courses: VMware vRealize Operations Manager Fundamentals [V6.0] and vRealize Operations Manager What’s New [V6.0] Fundamentals.
The first course is an overview of the new features, architecture, key features and management packs for vROPS 6.0. The course is targeted at people who are familiar with VMware technologies and datacenter virtualization, but not necessarily vROPS or previous versions of vCOPS.
The “What’s New” course also covers an overview of vROPS 6.0, new features, architecture and new management packs. Additionally, this course includes information on integration with VMware’s vRealize Log Insight and presents potential use cases illustrating how vROPS 6.0 aligns with customer needs. VMware does suggest familiarity with the previous vCOPS 5.x products as a prerequisite for this course.
Each course contains about 2 hours of content and registration gives you a year of access to the course.
The registration links and outlines are below.
1. Course Introduction
2. Introduction to vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
3. Architecture and New Deployments of vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
4. Key Functionalities of vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
5. Interoperability and Resulting Solutions
1. Course Introduction
– Course Overview
– Course Objectives
2. VMware Cloud Management Platform
– Cloud Management Platform Overview
– Evolving Customer Challenges
– Evolving VMware Cloud Management
– Portfolio Positioning
– Benefits of VMware Cloud Management
– Market Opportunity
– vSphere Optimization Assessment
– vOA Benefits
– vOA Execution
3. Key Features of vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
– New Features and Enhancements in vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
– Unified User Interface
– Alerting and Remediation
– Alerting Components
– Fixing an Issue
– Integrated Compliance Framework
– Analysis – Compliance Tab
– Customization of Views, Reports, and Dashboards
– Capacity Planning
– New Group UI and Features
– New Initial Setup Wizard
– User Access Controls
– Access Control Authentication
– Access Control – Object Model
– Mapping Features to Editions
4. Platform and Architecture of vRealize Operations Manager 6.0
– New Platform
– New Single vRealize Operations Manager 6.0 Virtual Machine
– Scalability and Scale Out
– GemFire – Shared Memory Cluster
– High Availability and Resiliency
– Upgrade and Migrations
– Remote Collectors
– Deployment Options
5. vRealize Operations Manager 6.0 Management Packs
– Solutions Exchange
– Operations Manager Management Packs
– Hyperic Management Pack Updates
– Management Pack for Storage Devices
– vRealize Automation Management Pack
– Tenant Overview Dashboard
– Top N Tenant Dashboard
6. Use Cases for vRealize Operations
Today VMware announced the public availability of
HOL-MBL-1458 -Application Management with VMware App Volumes and Horizon 6
Here is the description of the lab from the announcement:
Get an introduction on App Volumes working in conjunction with Horizon 6, how you can manage and deploy applications, and the benefits it provides with your virtual desktops. This lab will provide you with an introduction to App Volumes when used in conjunction with Horizon 6 with View desktops and RDS hosts. You will find out the benefits of utilizing containers for application management and the simplicity of deploying applications based upon individual users, groups, departments, and company wide as well.
1. Introduction to App Volumes
2. Application Lifecycle & Delivery
3. User Installed Applications
4. Local Profile Delivery
5. ThinApp Integration
6. Remote Desktop Hosted Apps
7. Rapid Application Deployment
PUBLIC LAB LINKS:
VMware Hands On Labs End User Compute catalog: http://labs.hol.vmware.com/eucsolutions/catalogs/catalog/177
VMware Hand On Labs Main page: http://labs.hol.vmware.com/
As a VCI, I regularly get asked about free exam vouchers or course discount deals… VMware education has a promotion running now through June 20, 2014 that includes a free VCP exam voucher, a 15% discount on a qualifying course and an additional gift.
If you have been waiting for a “deal” to afford the VCP certification, now is the time to save an get certified!